Friday, August 31, 2012

the monster in the woods

Once there was a boy.
He lived in a great big castle on the edge of a great big woods.
Inside the woods there lived a secret monster, that no one could catch, and no one dared to try.
The people in the castle never talked about the monster.
They never wanted to say its name because they were so afraid of what it might do to them.
They were scared.
The little boy didn't know about the monster.
He only knew that the woods looked like the perfect place to explore.
His mom and dad had told him to be careful around the woods, but they never told him that he could not go in.
So one fine day while he was playing outside he decided to follow the path into the woods to see what he could find.
"I won't be long mother. I am going exploring."
Not thinking anything of this, since the young boy explored often, the mother kissed him on the head and reminded him to be home before dark so that dinner could be served.
The boy ran through the gate of the castle and jumped the rocky ledge that surrounded the garden and ran towards the woods.
As he got closer to the trees he smelled the wonderful smell, that most boys love to smell, of freedom and nature all wrapped up in one!
He ran and stopped just at the path. He took a good look back to be certain he could still see the castle walls, and stepped into the shadows.
The trees were close together and the path was rather dim, but he could see it clear enough as he began his march on in.
The turns and weaves that the path made were few and far between. The boy enjoyed his hiking trail but was ready for his adventure to begin.
Suddenly, from deeper in, he heard a mighty growl! At first he turned to run away, but then he listened in.
It groaned again and three times now, it sounded sad and scared.
He tried to think what made that sound, but nothing came to mind.
He thought about turning around but the sadness in the voice compelled him not to go.
"Who are you?" called the boy. Nothing gave a reply.
"If I come to you will you harm me? I only want to help!"
Still no sounds were emerging from the forest trees.
"Three times I heard you calling. Three times. I did not run. Do you want some help? Do you need someone? Please don't be frightened now."
The boy stood and pleaded with the silence for awhile. He didn't know if he should go, but just then he heard a sound.
"Don't go. Don't scream. Don't do anything. Just stand as still as can be. I will come out and meet you there. Then you can finally see."
The voice sounded scared. It sounded shaky and unsure. But the boy stood still and waited while whatever it was drew near.
"Why aren't you afraid of me? Everyone is afraid. People who come this way, always run away. Why would you just stand and listen and even called to me?" The voice was getting nearer and closer with each word.
The boy felt a little uneasy. He didn't know what it was.
Just then in the darkness a little girl stood. She was older than him and taller too, but she was caked with mud. She had branches in her hair, and leaves on her hands. Her feet were barefoot, she had no shoes, her toes were muddy goo! She smelled of dirt and lemon leaves. She smelled like oak and pine. Her eyes shone like stars, even in the shadows of the woods. She looked like she'd been crying and her knees were scuffed and torn.
"Why are you hiding here? Why don't you come home?"
"I don't have a home. I don't know where to go. I came to this woods on my own and was walking through when I grew so sad and lonely. I was tired and all alone. I decided to make my home in by the trees and they have kept me warm. I eat the fruit and nuts I find and have never needed more."
"Why do you growl when people come near? Why don't you let them find you?"
"I live in this woods to keep me safe. I am scared of what they might think, or that they may turn me away. I don't want to be found to only be sent away alone."
"That is silly! Come with me. I will take you home. We have plenty of room and lots of good food. You will love it there."
So the girl followed the boy down the path in the woods and took her home with him.
She was welcomed there with opened arms and she never was lost again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone may comment. Critics are okay as long as you are constructive. Also, please note, I am not a professional, nor do I claim to be. Be courteous and kind to others.