Friday, December 21, 2012

Mary's Emmanuel


Cesar called for a new tax to be taken of our people. He wanted us counted so the taxes could be accurate for each area of our country. I guess when a guy rules over such a big area (like the Roman Empire) he sometimes needs to be sure he is getting the right amount of money from each country he is over. The best way for that to be done was by having every man go back to the town they were born in to be counted. For those of you who live in the same place you were born it would be no big deal, but for Joseph and for a whole lot of our people it meant a long journey had to be taken. Joseph had been born in Bethlehem in Judea and we lived over in Nazareth of Galilee. So we had to pick up all our stuff and head towards Judea. I didn't know how I was going to get there. I was huge and uncomfortable and it would mean I was a long way away from my mom during a time when I really wanted her to be near me. I would be away from my whole family. You see I was pregnant and expecting my sweet baby any day now. I didn't know why we had to have this happen now. All I knew was God was in control and that he had a reason to put us through this. He would not leave us alone.

We packed up our stuff and left our home, not knowing how long we would have to be gone or if our home would be there for us when we got back. We knew God was going with us. We were in his protection and care. We turned and began our journey to Bethlehem in Judea. I walked as much as I could and Joseph was sweet and walked slow to help me along the way. Sometimes we were fortunate to find someone walking along that let me ride on their cart or donkey for a few miles. It wasn't like now where you have those rental car places, or where you can just hop on a bus, plane or train to get you where you need to go. We just walked, and camped out under the stars. We didn't have rest stops along the way. We didn't have public restrooms and showers. Believe me I think I was as dirty as a stray dog by the time we reached the edge of Bethlehem. I thanked the Lord God for being with us on our journey. He was always with us. The candles were glowing in the windows of the small town. I could see them urging me to just keep walking a little farther. We were almost there.

So many people had traveled back to Bethlehem. You see hardly anyone stayed in Bethlehem when they grew up. It wasn't exactly the big city with great opportunities. It was a small town with a few inns and some places to visit. King David had been born here so there was a lot of history. Jesse’s well was around and so was the pasture land where David had watched his father’s sheep before he was made king. But it wasn't really the place everyone wanted to be. I was so excited to finally see the inns and the flickering lamp lights as we neared closer. I knew my aching body would find rest soon.

Joseph tried the first inn he came to. There was loud music and singing coming from the main room. He had to knock loudly to even get an answer. The inn keeper shook his head and pointed down the road to another large building. I began to head down towards it as Joseph caught up. It looked like we would be waiting awhile. Some people were already in line at that door speaking with the innkeeper when we approached. He was apologizing and offering up a corner in the main room. The two men in front of us took that just as we began to speak up. The innkeeper took one look at me and apologized again saying every room was full and even his main room now had two guests. He motioned down the road farther to a small inn at the end of the side road. I began thinking this was useless and hopeless. I was having difficult time breathing through the aches running through my body. All the walking was definitely having its toll.

The last inn we came to was at the edge of town I almost lost hope that we would find anywhere to rest tonight. But I was reminded as my baby kicked that God was still with us. God was not going to leave us alone, not tonight and not ever. I knew of Emmanuel (God with us). You could see the pastures just beyond the inn where the small campfires were burning for the night watchmen and shepherds. Joseph knocked again. It was later now and the noises were quieter from within the buildings.

An innkeeper came to the door to see what he could do for us. He looked at me and began to apologize but stopped himself mid-sentence as I winced and clutched at my rounded belly. “My inn is full. I have some rooms doubled up. I have a man sleeping on a mat in the main room already. I don’t have anywhere to offer you in here. I do own a stable. It is a whole in the wall of the cliff, just beyond that pasture. I own some small goats and a donkey, and visitors rent out shelter for their animals from me. I think there is some space left in there. There isn't much room but it will be a roof over your head in case it rains tonight. I just had my boy put fresh straw in there this morning. It will be warmer and safer than out here on the street.”

Joseph thanked the man and accepted his offer as he looked over at me concern flooding his face as he realized why I was gritting my teeth and why the innkeeper had made such an offer. He took my hand and the man turned back into the inn to grab his overcoat.

This meant what I thought it did. The baby was on his way whether I was ready or not. At least I would be able to have shelter tonight. God was definitely with us.

We crossed the pasture. Joseph guided my arm gently as he tried to hurry me along while at the same time he didn't want to push me too quickly. The innkeeper led the way with his light shining ahead of us. It was so dark out and yet the stars seemed bright to me as I looked around. I noticed the shepherds out in the field. They had the sheep gathered up on a small hill opposite of where we were headed. I could hear them playing soft music on a harp. It carried a beautiful melody. I tried to catch the tune but it was too faint as we turned away and wandered towards the cliff.

The innkeeper came to a small cave and pushed opened his make shift door. There was a step down into the darkness. A dank smell surged at me as I leaned closer. Joseph went first and then guided me down the steep step with his strong arms. He was so warm. I was thankful he would be here for me tonight and that we were not alone.

The innkeeper moved some animals farther towards the back and moved the straw around trying to get the drier and cleaner pieces on top. The smell of damp animals and filth was so strong and nauseating, but it was warm down out of the wind. The innkeeper found the lamp and lit it for us and set it on top of a rock near the area he had cleared out. Joseph laid his coat down for me to sit on and he thanked the innkeeper again. The innkeeper turned and left rather quickly, after saying he wished his wife was still living, he told Joseph, “she would have known what to do for the girl.” And that was it. We were left alone with our small lamp and the animals and my aching body. And yet it was the best night of my life. I wouldn't trade those memories for a treasure room filled with gold and diamonds.

God was there with us-Emmanuel. He helped us through what could have been the darkest hours of our lives. We were smelly and dirty. We were in a rotting cave surrounded by flies and fuzzy, stinky animals who had not been bathed in who knows how long. I was lying on damp straw and Joseph had found some old rags and torn scraps off of his shirt to use for swaddling. We were in a strange place with no family or friends to greet the new child. There were no doctors or nurses or midwives to help us. It was scary and lonely and yet God was there. God was right there breathing peace onto us and rejoicing with us when we heard those first cries of life. God was there as I held my sweet baby boy and in awe realized I was holding my Savior and my God. And yet he was my baby boy. My perfect and sweet baby boy was to be called Jesus (Savior of his People) and he was Emmanuel (God with us).

 When he fell asleep we wrapped him in the rags and scraps of cloth and I looked for a place to lay him. The feeding trough was near enough to me. I swept aside the top layer of straw and put my veil down over the cold stone and laid the silent baby down. I began to lay back to rest as I stared at my baby sleeping so peacefully when all of the sudden I heard a large group approaching. They were whispering and coughing. There was a rhythmic thumping along with them. I could only assume it was walking sticks of some sort. Joseph went to the entrance of the cave to see what was going on. Then he came back and told me some shepherds wanted to see the Messiah that was born. “Messiah? How did they know?” I thought, but I sat up and covered my head (as is custom) and Joseph let them in.

They were a group of boys and a few older men who stunk of sheep and had cheap wine on their breath. They told us how they had been singing and laughing to keep one another awake when all of the sudden the sky lit up as though it was day. And a voice came down and told them to not be afraid. I could just imagine these burly men covering their heads on the ground and a slight grin spread across my face. They told us an angle had told them about the baby in a stable and that he would be lying in a manger and wrapped in ragged clothes. They then told us of the most beautiful choir that began to sing as the sky was filled with angles burning the darkness away. Then in an instant it was gone.

They could not get their stuff together fast enough to go and follow the angles words. They leaped and ran all the way to the stables and began looking for the one with the tiny baby inside. They each took their turn to get close to the baby and to introduce themselves and whisper whatever words they wanted to say. They brought some gifts to leave at the foot of the manger and took their leave again. The shepherds said they would spread the word and hoped that others might come to see this wonderful thing as well. We heard them leave in laughter and cheer and shouts of joy rang out as they headed towards the town.

Joseph laughed in spite of himself and said, “God, you are amazing. We are out in the middle of nowhere with no family or friends and no greeting party to celebrate sweet Jesus’ birth and yet you decide to herald his birth with a choir of angels to the night shepherds so that your son would have a welcome party unlike any other on earth!” Some sleepy villagers did stop in that night saying some shepherds had pounded on their doors and windows until they came out to see this miracle of God. The shepherds had yelled through the Bethlehem town that Jesus the Messiah was born! And they did not stop sharing the news until everyone in town had heard.

The town of Bethlehem was not the only ones to hear. Later on some wise men from a distant land came to visit us. They let us know they had seen a special star in the sky that had let them to us. They had gifts for us that were unlike anything we had ever seen. There was a chest of gold, a bottle of frankincense and some myrrh. The smells were beautiful and I just closed my eyes and locked the picture of that day in my heart as well. God had allowed the world to know of his Son’s birth. God had allowed angels to sing his son his first lullaby, shouting of his birth from the sky, and had Shepherds share and spread the news of his birth, while animals guarded and kept him warm. God had used a star in the sky as the birth announcement for those far away. He had brought kings to welcome him and to shower him with birthday gifts.  I knew time would go by so very fast and I wanted to remember this as if it had just happened. These were some of the best happy times. I knew on the path God had for me I would see sorrow soon enough. I was going to treasure this for now and always. And I always wanted to remember my God was with me-Emmanuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone may comment. Critics are okay as long as you are constructive. Also, please note, I am not a professional, nor do I claim to be. Be courteous and kind to others.